One of the most challenging topics for teachers is giving the most approiprate information about holidays. Many school districts have placed restrictions on what can be taught. Other districts give the teachers more flexibility.
Here are lots of web sites for many American and religious holidays that are celebrated here in the U.S.
If you start cruising the web, you can find a huge list of Thanksgiving sites for every interest. Some sites are based on history, some have fun activiites for children and others have cutsie art and graphics to copy. The last seciton has practical lesson plan idea.
This first section contains sites with information about the first Thanksgiving, Native Americans and about the original pilgrims.
- TEACHING ABOUT THANKSGIVING
- The First Thanksgiving Proclamation - On June 20, 1676, the governing council of Charlestown, Massachusetts, held a meeting to determine how best to express thanks for the good fortune that had seen their community securely established. By unamimous vote they instructed Edward Rawson, the clerk, to proclaim June 29 as a day of thanksgiving. That proclamation is reproduced here in the same language and spelling as the original.
- The First Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Information
- Thanksgiving Fun
- Interactive Sites For Education - Winter: Snowmen, Snowflakes, and Gingerbread.
- The Seasons - Games and activities for kids.
- Winter Games - Primary Games.
- Winter Holiday - PBS Kids
- Winter Time Inside Games - Kid Activities
- Winter Activities for kids - Some of us love the season of winter - others hate it! Whichever side you are on, you will find plenty of ideas for involving your kids in this season.
- Winter Animal Games and Videos - Keep warm inside with these cool games and vids with a wintery theme...
- Free Winter Games - All these games are free to play and best of all you won't have to watch an ad before you begin playing.
- Winter Activities for Kids, Family and Teachers - BillyBear4Kids.Com Welcomes YOU!
- Printable and Online Winter Games - A Kids Heart - A play and learn site with resources for children and their teachers.
- Kindergarten Winter Activities - Brrrr! It sure is cold outside. When temperatures dip and teeth begin to chatter then you know it's time for some winter activities. If you're bundled up and ready to brave the frosty outside weather we have a few outdoor activities: Making a snow gauge or even planting a garden....
- Top 10 Wintertime Neighborhood Games - Just because it's cold and snowy, it doesn't mean you have to stay inside! Winter weather can be a great excuse to round up everyone in your neighborhood and get outside for some fresh air and exercise. So bundle up, and try these outdoor winter group activities and games.
- winter break - Are your kids bored and bickering? Don't despair! Your family will love our winter wonderland of cures for cabin fever. Find indoor and outdoor winter break fun activities to keep your kids happy and busy all winter long.
- Christmas Games and Activities - Topmarks Education
- Preschool Winter Activity Theme - A winter garden of preschool learning activities and ideas with early childhood education lesson plans that enhance preschool curriculum. Also, fingerplays, nursery rhymes and art activities wrapped snugly in a winter theme. Plus, a few melting experiments for young scientists, and you won't even need any snow!
- A Blizzard of Winter Lessons - More than 50 cross-curricular activities! Included: Lessons about winter folklore, snowmen, the winter solstice, and more!
- Pre-K & Preschool theme ideas for Winter
- Winter Preschool Activities, Winter Crafts, Lessons, and Printables - Winter activities, crafts, lessons, games, booklets, and printables for preschool and kindergarten. Brrr! Winter is the coldest season of the year. It's a time for children to enjoy outdoor activities like ice skating, sledding, and building snowmen or indoor activities like making craft projects, curling up with a book by a toasty fire, baking gingerbread man cookies, or going to see a good movie like Happy Feet, an uplifting story about a tap-dancing penguin named Mumble.
- Ultimate Winter Resource For Teachers - Three categories that are loaded with many topics: themes, literature units, and free gifts.